So I’ve spent the last couple weeks making some adjustments to my bike. I’m pretty sure I’m done, at least until summer. You can see the original build here. After taking those pictures, I replaced the pedals with a set of MKS GR9s, which are decent, inexpensive platform pedals that accept toe clips. They’re great with street shoes, and the profile is a little bit narrower than my original pedals. I also added a set of half-clips from Velo Orange.
This spring I replaced the stock stem with a shorter one, also from Velo Orange. Along with the shorter stem, I fine-tuned my fit, shortening my reach. The result is much more comfortable. I also replaced my 16t rear cog with a 17t Rennen cog, as my original gearing was a little too tall for the stop-and-go traffic on my usual commute.
I ditched the steel fork in favor of a cheap carbon/aluminum cross fork that I scrounged up last year. A lot of people would argue that a carbon fork on a heavy steel bike is silly, but mostly I was interested in the disc brake tabs. Snow-clogged cantilevers are no fun in the winter, and I think I’ll add a front disc break next year. Dropping a pound of dead weight off the front isn’t a bad thing either, and I can’t discern any difference in the geometry with the new fork.
Most recently, I stitched some leftover leather onto the toe clips and added pair of VO alloy fenders. It looks like Albany is pretty wet in the spring, and commuting in the rain without fenders is a special sort of hell.
Finally, I scraped off the gaudy Surly logos. Personally, I think the end result is gorgeous. Here are some pictures, although the color balance is pretty crummy. I’ll try to get some outdoor shots tomorrow.
We had some nasty freezing rain last night, followed by snow this morning. Made for a real mess, but the ice was pretty, especially when the sun came out.